Homebound definition includes:
- The patient’s condition must be such that leaving the home requires an extremely taxing effort.
- In most instances a “homebound” patient’s absence from home will occur for the purpose of receiving medical treatment.
- Absences are infrequent, are of relatively short duration and do not indicate that the patient has the capacity to obtain health care provided outside rather than inside the home.
- If patient’s condition, due to an illness or injury, restricts the patient’s ability to leave home except with the aid of supportive device: cane, wheelchair, walker, maximum assistance of another person.
- If patient’s condition is such that leaving home is medically contradicted.
- Any absence for religious services is deemed to be an absence of infrequent or short duration, and thus does not negate homebound status.